The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) releases its “Most Wanted” List each year, identifying its top safety priorities to reduce personal injury across a number of areas. The list is designed to “increase awareness of, and support for, the most critical changes needed to reduce transportation accidents and save lives,” according to the NTSB.
The 2012 NTSB Most Wanted List includes:
• Improve safety of airport surface operations
• Improve the safety of bus operations
• Eliminate distraction in transportation
• Improve fire safety in transportation
• Improve general aviation safety
• Preserve the integrity of transportation infrastructure
• Enhance pipeline safety
• Implement positive train control systems
• Eliminate substance-impaired driving
• Mandate motor vehicle collision avoidance techniques
Six new issues were included on the list: distraction, fire safety, infrastructure integrity, pipeline safety, positive train control and motor vehicle collision avoidance technologies.
“Transportation is safer than ever, but with 35,000 annual fatalities and hundreds of thousands of injuries, we can, and must, do better,” NTSB Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman said in a statement. “The Most Wanted List is a roadmap to improving safety for all of our nation’s travelers.”
The Most Wanted List identifies the top priorities for the NTSB, which will be the focus of advocacy and lobbying efforts to enact reforms.
Several of the issues identified on the list are those that North Carolina personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin deal with everyday. If you have been injured in a transportation accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Call 1-866-900-7078 for a free evaluation of your case.