What to Do After a Car Accident
Helpful tips if you are involved in an auto accident
Your adrenaline may be rushing through your veins after a car accident. You may have trouble thinking straight. You may be coping with pain. We understand what you're going through after a car accident. Many of us have been there, too.
The following are some tips to follow after a car accident. You can print this page out and keep it in your glove box (along with a disposable camera if you don't have one with your cell phone).
- Don't leave the accident. You are required to stop and exchange information after a North Carolina car accident.
- Contact the police and notify them of any injuries or if you suspect someone is driving while intoxicated (DWI).
- Assist the injured, but don't move a person who is seriously injured unless they are at risk of more harm by being left alone.
- Don't volunteer comments about the accident to insurance company representatives or other drivers. You can answer police questions, but offer only facts.
- Write down or use a voice recorder to gather information, including names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, make and model of cars, insurance information from drivers and the name of the registered owner of the vehicle.
- Write down or record other facts about the accident. When did it happen? Which direction were the vehicles traveling? How did it occur? What are the names and badge numbers of the police officers at the scene?
- Use your cell phone camera to photograph or videotape the accident scene, including damage to vehicles, skid marks, street signs, and weather conditions. If you don't have a cell phone, use a disposable camera.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible, even if you think you might feel better later. Remember, some car accident injuries become more serious as time goes by.
- Get in touch with an experienced accident attorney in North Carolina. To ensure your rights are fully protected, call us before you call the insurance company.
For more information, please see five biggest mistakes people make after an injury or accident.
Contact our law firm today
Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin. Call 1-866-900-7078, or contact us online. A tough-minded North Carolina personal injury lawyer is ready to provide aggressive representation. Tell the insurance companies you mean business.