Three Important Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
You have enough to deal with when you get hurt. You could be in a lot of pain or discomfort. Maybe your vehicle is damaged or your injury prevents you from working. The stress from an injury is very real. Luckily, a personal injury attorney can help reduce the anxiety, the workload, and the pressure you may be feeling.
There are three primary benefits to hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you when you get hurt. One of them, or some combination of them, is what we usually hear from our clients. Every case is different, so every experience is different, but here are the common threads.
#1 Having an Attorney Reduces Stress
Being injured really puts a lot of stress on you. When you hire an attorney, you have a representative – which means you don’t have to deal with:
- Insurance adjusters – While you need to speak to your own insurance company if they’re involved, what you don’t have to deal with is the other party’s insurance. Adjusters are going to be on the prowl, some may be looking to get a quick settlement for as little as possible. They’ll may ask leading questions, and can use your words against you. Having an attorney means you do not have to deal with these tactics.
- Confusing forms and deadlines – An attorney can’t exactly eliminate deadlines or forms, but we can eliminate the confusion and keep you organized and on track. We deal with the forms that result from personal injury claims all the time, and we can cut through the legal jargon and get to the point. Clarity reduces stress. We also stay on top of deadlines and sweat the details on your behalf. We have systems for dealing with such things so you can focus your attention on recovering from your injury.
- Negotiations – Negotiating a settlement is a back and forth process. Adjusters might be more willing to try ‘take it or leave it’ offers with you if you do not have representation. When you hire an attorney, the insurer will know that such ultimatums could land them in court. While insurance companies are often willing to fight in a courtroom, they may also consider a fairer settlement offer to you as a more economical alternative.
- Case-building – When you make a claim, you’re really making a case for yourself to receive compensation. The strength of your case often determines, at least partly, the amount of compensation you may receive. Gathering the evidence, hiring experts if necessary, and putting it all together is a time consuming process. We do that for you.
When you’re hurt, we believe you should be focusing on your health and your family. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, and let us do the heavy lifting.
#2 Hiring an Attorney Can Help You Value Your Injury Claim Properly
How do you know you’re getting what you really should? We can advise you on the value of your claim so you’re more aware of what your injury might cost you, and what you should be asking for. We take into account the entirety of what your injury is costing you, such as:
- Medical bills, including prescriptions, doctor visits, copays, deductibles, therapy, etc.
- Future medical costs from the long term consequences of your injury
- Property damage, including diminished value
- Lost wages if you were unable to work through your injury
- Pain and suffering
When you’re injured and bills start piling up, the insurance company’s settlement offer looks better and better. What you may not perceive is that the insurance company is well aware of that. Some insurance companies may deny or delay a claim long enough that financial pressure begins to build on you. Your motivation to accept the easy money goes up as the bills pour in. That’s how they get people to settle for less – and keep their profits in their pockets.
Having an attorney to advise you could keep you from leaving a lot of compensation – money you could use – on the table. Call us at 1-866-900-7078 and let us help you.
#3 Attorneys Know Where to Search for Compensation, How to Fight for It, and Explain ALL of Your Options
This is a lot to unpack, but all three of these benefits are closely linked.
First, attorneys know where to look for the compensation you may deserve. For instance, what if multiple insurance companies are involved? There are lots of possible reasons for this – and it doesn’t always include your own insurer. What if a person was driving a car they don’t own? Well, the owner’s insurance is liable and when those policy limits are reached, the driver’s policy may come into play. That could mean more compensation for you.
Additionally, if multiple insurers are involved, they may spend a lot of time passing the buck back and forth while you’re stuck with an injury and all the bills resulting from it. We can set things straight for you.
Second, we know if you should be compensated for things that the insurance companies might not tell you about. Mileage to and from your doctors’ appointments? Compensable. Rental car expenses while your car is out of commission? Compensable. The cost of a plane ticket to visit family that you can no longer make? Compensable. The things that your injury costs you are candidates for compensation. We know how to ask for it.
Furthermore, when insurance policy limits are exhausted, we can keep looking. The person who injured you doesn’t just get to walk away if his or her insurance doesn’t make you whole. We’ll hunt for assets and continue to fight for you.
Third, and finally, we’ll explain all of the options you have for your case. We’re not the decision makers – it’s your case. We work for you. We will give you an honest assessment of what’s happening as your case progresses. Without an attorney, you may be left guessing. With one, you have the benefit of experience and probably more information than you would without one. We’ll value your case based on the breadth of facts we uncover on your behalf.
So, if an offer comes in and we think you could get more, we’ll tell you so and tell you how we’d go about getting it. The goal is for you to be able to make the best decision for yourself.
Six Reasons Resources and Experience Matter When Choosing an Attorney
Here’s how a firm with experienced attorneys, and the technology and personnel to pursue your case can help:
- Communication — Experienced attorneys can help communicate with medical experts, interpret medical documents and — if necessary — communicate the findings to an injured person in a language they can understand.
- Investigation — Attorneys often understand the actions needed to gather and preserve critical evidence. The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin may use accident reconstruction experts who may be able to reconstruct the scene of an accident, as well as gather and preserve critical pieces of evidence. We also have investigators, several of whom that are bilingual in English and Spanish, that can help with your case.
- Oversight — There can be a lot of paperwork involved in a personal injury claim. Attorneys can help ensure that all rules and processes are followed, and that no paperwork is overlooked or deadlines are missed.
- Understanding of Special Circumstances — If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you may have to recover damages from your own insurance company through your policy's uninsured motorist (UM) coverage or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. A personal injury attorney can help you navigate through this situation.
- Proving Negligence — An experienced attorney might be able to illustrate who was at fault for the accident or injury and to what degree.
- Negotiation — Often a client can get satisfactory results while avoiding a potentially lengthy jury trial through such strategies as mediation or pre-litigation settlement. An experienced lawyer can advise you on the best course of action to take for your particular case. The attorneys at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin have experience with mediation and pre-litigation settlement. We also have an experienced Litigation Team that is not afraid to go to court if that is the best – or only – way to resolve your case.
Call the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin
When you’re injured due to someone else’s negligence, you just want a fair shake. It’s not your fault you were hurt. You want life to be the way it used to be. We want to help you get back to the way you were, and fight for what you may deserve. Please call us at 1-866-900-7078, or contact us online. We’ll evaluate your case for free, and tell you if hiring a personal injury attorney may be right for you!