Attorney Rick Fleming
Fighting to protect the rights of those injured in North Carolina
Rick Fleming joined the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin in 2002. He became a shareholder at the firm in 2008 and currently heads the Social Security Department. He is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Rick received his J.D. from North Carolina Central University School of Law, and his B.A. from Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan and his M.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
"I derive great pleasure in assisting clients through challenging times," Rick says. "By providing our clients with the proper information they need, they are then able to make well-informed decisions about their case."
Rick is fluent in Spanish and takes pride in representing many injured people in the Latinx community. He has discussed legal topics at various Hispanic events and on several local radio programs. He is active in the Disability Advocacy Section of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
Rick is the Fourth and D.C. Circuits Representative for the NOSSCR Board of Directors, and is a former chair of NOSSCR’s Distinguished Service Committee*. He was appointed to the Nominations and Elections Committee of the NOSSCR to help choose the new members of the 2019–2020 Board of Directors. He is the immediate Past Chair of the NC State Bar's Social Security Disability Law Specialty Committee, which drafts and grades the exams for those who wish to become Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law.
Rick is a past chair of the Disability Advocacy Section for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (2010-2011) and former member of the organization’s Board of Governors for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (2010-2011). In 2017 and 2018, he received an Order of Service award from the NCAJ.
North Carolina Central University School of Law
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC
1995 M.A. in Hispanic Literature
1992 B.A. in Hispanic Literature and Philosophy
Universidad de San Francisco de Quito
Specialization: Social Security Disability
Social Security Disability
Board of Legal Specialization, North Carolina State Bar
Fourth and DC Circuits Representative to the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) Board of Directors.
- 16th Judicial District Bar Association
- American Association for Justice*
- American Bar Association*
- Durham County Bar Association*
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR)
- Board of Directors
- Fourth and D.C. Circuits Representative
- Nominations and Elections Committee
- Distinguished Service Committee, Chair *
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Board of Governors*
- CLE Co-chair, Disability Advocacy Section, 2004-2008*
- Past Chair, Disability Advocacy Section
- Executive Committee, Disability Advocacy Section
- Workers’ Compensation Section*
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Board of Legal Specialization
- Chair, Social Security Disability Committee, 2017
- Vice Chair, 2016
- Board of Legal Specialization
- Workplace Injury Litigation Group*
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice Order of Service award, 2017, 2018
Admitted to Practice:
- US District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- US District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
* Denotes Inactive Member