“Being an effective trial lawyer is really about taking a complex body of information and turning it into a compelling story…”
- Coleman Cowan
Fellow, American Bar Foundation5
Received two Emmys, 2009 and 2013
Received the Peabody Award, 2009
Attorney Coleman Cowan (Partner)
Attorney and Emmy award winning 60 Minutes producer Coleman Cowan leads the litigation section of James Scott Farrin. As a trial lawyer, Coleman litigates some of the more high stakes cases in the areas of personal injury, product liability, insurance bad faith claims, and complex litigation. He is also a Partner at the firm.
He received a J.D. cum laude from Wake Forest University School of Law in Winston-Salem, where he won awards for Most Outstanding Advocate as well as Best Oralist. Coleman earned his B.A. in Economics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and he received a Master’s in Journalism cum laude from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
While he began his career as an attorney, at about the 10-year mark, his career path led him away from North Carolina courtrooms and into war zones, jungles, and mountaintops across the world. For 10 years, Coleman worked as producer for 60 Minutes and CBSN On Assignment, and as a reporter for BusinessWeek magazine. His stories covered everything from war, politics, and economics to sports and adventure. He won two Emmy awards, a Peabody, a Gracie, a Polk, a Sigma Delta Chi award, and was nominated for several other awards.
Coleman has participated as lead counsel litigating successful multi-million dollar1 jury verdict cases throughout his legal career and in 2002, was selected by Business North Carolina Magazine as one of North Carolina’s “Legal Elite.”3 He was named to the 2023 North Carolina “Super Lawyers” list by Super Lawyers,6 and he has also developed legal courses for the North Carolina Bar Association and has spoken at various legal seminars.
- The Thriving Lawyers Podcast: Coleman Cowan-Thriving In and Out of Law (and Back in Again!) (Pt, 1)
- The Thriving Lawyers Podcast: Coleman Cowan-Thriving In and Out of Law-and Back In Again (Pt. 2)
- Five James Scott Farrin Attorneys Recognized on “Super Lawyers” 2023 North Carolina ‘Super Lawyers’ and ‘Rising Stars’ Lists6
- James Scott Farrin Named to "U.S. News - Best Lawyers" 2023 'Best Law Firms' List, 8th Straight Year4
- Attorneys for Ronnie Long Issue Statement Regarding Civil Case
- Former NC Christian school employee arrested again, faces new charges in sex abuse case
- WRAL.COM: Student interview with police details progression of alleged sex assault at home of Cape Fear Christian employee
- The News & Observer's Exclusive: ‘There are more victims’ of sexual abuse at Cape Fear Christian, lawyers allege
- Law Offices of James Scott Farrin Attorneys Win What Is Believed to be a Record-Setting $2.1 Million1 Case in Hoke County
- James Scott Farrin Named to 2020 Edition of "Triangle Business Journal" Best Place to Work
For legal reasons and client confidentiality, reviews have been slightly edited to remove identifying information and correct typos.
3 For more information regarding the standards for inclusion for Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” list, visit businessnc.com.
4For more information about the standards of inclusion for “U.S. News – Best Lawyers” ‘Best Law Firms’ list, please visit https://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/.
5For information regarding the American Bar Foundation’s 1% of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction, visit www.americanbarfoundation.org/fellows.
6For more information regarding the standards for inclusion for “Super Lawyers” North Carolina ‘Super Lawyers’ list, visit http://www.superlawyers.com.