Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
Truck Accident Cases Can Be Complex
Truck accident cases can become complicated quickly. Sometimes the accident involves multiple vehicles, or out-of-state truckers, or really serious injuries, or even death. And there are different rules and laws that regulate truck drivers on the road. Determining who is liable can be particularly difficult – does the driver own the rig or is he employed by a company? – and how do these answers play into the blame game?
Without an experienced truck accident attorney on your side to help you with these matters, you risk losing some, or all of the compensation to which you may be entitled. Our truck accident lawyers know how to thoroughly investigate cases, and their goal is to help our clients get their lives back on track. Read on to learn about the many ways a truck accident attorney can help you.
Determining Liability in a Truck Accident
Determining liability in a truck accident is not always easy. Some big rigs are driven by owner-operators, others are driven by company truck drivers, and still others are driven by independent contractors who lease their trucks from a larger company. An attorney can help you identify and determine which of the following parties may be liable in your case:
- The truck driver
- The truck driver’s employer
- The trucking company
- The owner of the cab
- The owner of the trailer
- The party that maintained the truck
- The party that loaded the truck
But that’s not all. In addition to helping you untangle the web of who’s liable in your accident, an attorney can provide you with objectivity and past truck accident case experience.
Truck Accident Attorneys’ Tasks and Responsibilities
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you have a lot on your plate. Dealing with your injuries and focusing on healing should be your number one priority. But more than likely, you are worried and wondering if you will be able to recover compensation for any of the harms and losses you have suffered. A skilled truck accident attorney can help relieve some of this burden by:
- Gathering evidence quickly
- Enlisting a qualified professional to reconstruct the accident, inspect the accident scene, and obtain and protect critical information
- Accessing records for in-state companies through both the DOT and the Office of the Secretary of State
- Examining safety ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the company or person who owns the truck
- Interviewing police officers about the accident
- Interviewing witnesses
- Identifying potential damages
- Positioning your case to try to maximize compensation
- Handling your case in court
In addition to these specific tasks, an attorney can offer you advice and guidance throughout your case. While this is (hopefully) your first truck accident, a seasoned truck accident attorney will have prior cases to refer to and can offer you:
- Advice about avoiding the common traps involved with making a recorded statement with the insurance company
- Assistance with meeting deadlines and organizing supporting materials and records
- Knowledge about state and federal laws and regulations governing truckers
- Understanding of the process and what is expected at each step
- Familiarity with insurance company tactics and how to handle them
Be Wary of Quick Insurance Settlement Offers
Even a “minor” accident can have long-term health implications. Agreeing to a settlement before these long-term costs are taken into account can leave you uncovered for future medical expenses and other costs.
How Much Does a Truck Accident Attorneys Cost?
At the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, we operate on a contingency fee arrangement which means that the attorney’s fee is based on a percentage of the total recovery. While a case may have fees and costs associated with it, there is no hourly or flat fee charged. Simply put, if you do not recover compensation from your commercial truck accident claim, there is no attorney’s fee.2 This allows us to bear the burden of investigating and pursuing your claim and allows you to focus on your well-being.
Why Call the Truck Accident Attorneys at the Law Offices of Fames Scott Farrin?
When selecting an attorney, experience matters. Our firm has recovered over $1.4 billion total for more than 55,000 injured people since our start in 1997.1
If you work with us, you can expect:
- Attorneys who will treat you with respect and honesty
- Attorneys who care about both your long and short-term interests
- No attorney’s fee unless we successfully resolve your case2
Our attorneys have successfully negotiated settlements in truck accident cases. For example, we helped a North Carolina client obtain a $525,500 settlement after he was struck by a tractor-trailer on an interstate.1
And there are more examples of how the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin has helped clients. Call now for a free case evaluation of your truck accident case at 866-900-7078. We are here to fight for you.