You’ve been hurt on the job. You need medical treatment. Maybe you’re out of work or working under restrictions imposed by your doctor as a result. Maybe your employer is paying you less while you’re working light duty. Your injury may mean you’re struggling physically, emotionally, and financially. And the insurance company – who may be more concerned with their profits than your well-being – is calling the shots.
This is an unfortunate but typical predicament and is among the many reasons the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin has grown to become one of the largest personal injury firms in North Carolina. People need us to help try to keep them from potentially being sidelined by the insurance company that may be looking out for themselves, not injured workers.
Why Hire a Workers’ Comp Lawyer?
Admittedly, sometimes in minor cases, you may not need a workers’ compensation lawyer. But many times in more complicated cases, where healing time may be longer, or your employer is pressuring you to come back to work before you’ve healed, or threatening to fire you if you don’t get back to work or you want a second opinion from another doctor, you very well may need a workers’ compensation lawyer to go to bat for you. The laws are just too complicated and nuanced, and the insurance companies, for the most part, know they have the upper hand because they know the laws better than injured workers. When you’re hurt on the job, employers and adjusters (the insurance company reps assigned to work on your case) may tell you that you don’t need to hire a lawyer. They may try to make you feel like they’re on your side and will look out for your best interests. But beware the wolf in sheep’s clothing. There’s one thing they’re generally looking out for: Their own corporate coffers. Every dollar an insurance company spends on you is a dollar they don’t get to keep for themselves – or pass along to their shareholders. Do you really think when given the chance to pay you more or keep it for themselves, they will readily pay you more?
Experience tells me no. Not without a fight.
You vs. the Workers’ Comp Insurance Adjuster
The adjuster on your case may work on hundreds of cases with a goal of paying injured workers like you as little as possible. They know North Carolina workers’ compensation laws inside and out, and they know how to use and interpret these laws to their advantage. They also have access to corporate lawyers that they won’t hesitate to call upon to try to deny your right to benefits. For example, injured workers often call us after their employer and employer’s insurance company (with the help of their lawyers) order them to return to work. The insurance company and its lawyers may leave the impression that if you don’t return right away, your workers’ compensation checks will be cut off automatically. But this isn’t true, and the law doesn’t allow the insurance company to cut off your checks just because they want to. Of course, there’s no way for most people to know that unless there’s someone like us to tell them.
The bottom line? If you try to go head-to-head by yourself against an insurance company and their well-trained adjusters and experienced lawyers, you may end up potentially receiving less than you are entitled to under the law. That’s great for the insurance company, but bad for you and your family.
Even the Playing Field
There is a way to even the playing field. Hire an experienced North Carolina workers’ comp lawyer.
The workers’ compensation lawyers at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin work tirelessly to try to push insurance companies to meet their obligations to injured workers just like you. Like the adjuster assigned to your case, we spend all day every day on workers’ compensation cases. But unlike your adjuster, our goal – actually our passion – is to try to maximize your benefits, including wage benefits, medical treatment, and other payments and services you may be entitled to under the Workers’ Compensation Act. Many of these benefits your adjuster may never even tell you about.
Why the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin?
First, our firm was named one of the “Best Law Firms” for workers’ compensation by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® for the greater Raleigh area in 2017.3 That doesn’t happen by accident. So who’s on this team?
- Former defense attorneys and paralegals for insurance companies who have worked inside the insurance companies, so they know what you’re up against.
- More than half our workers’ comp attorneys are NC Board Certified Specialists in Workers’ Compensation law. This is a NC State Bar certification denoting a high level of proficiency in a particular practice area, and less than 4% of licensed NC attorneys can make that claim.4
- A former North Carolina Industrial Commission Special Deputy Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner are on our staff. The North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) is the impartial agency that administers and enforces workers’ compensation laws.
- We have a former North Carolina State Senator who was elected to serve four terms. He also helped write some of North Carolina’s workers’ compensation laws.
- Many of our attorneys have been acknowledged by colleagues and peers. They are often asked to speak at seminars for other workers’ compensation attorneys. Others are accomplished authors of scholarly articles and two have received coveted awards for workers’ compensation, including Best Lawyers “Best Lawyer” and NC Super Lawyers Magazine’s “Rising Star.”5,6 One was named NC Super Lawyers Magazine’s “Super Lawyer” three times and Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Raleigh twice.5,6
- Our attorneys are givers and champions of the underdog. Many of them join our side because they are advocates for those without a voice. And that is often the injured worker. Of our 13 workers’ comp attorneys, 12 are members of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, an organization dedicated to improving the quality of legal representation in our state. Many are active members in their communities – from teaching at local colleges, to counseling the Hispanic/Latino community.
Contact James Scott Farrin Soon After Your Work Injury
It’s never too early to contact us after being hurt. Call the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin as soon as possible after your injury so we can try to answer questions about your situation. Any delay in contacting us could give your adjuster a chance to deny you benefits. After you explain the details of your injury and case to us, we can let you know if the time is right for us to partner with you to fight the insurance company. If it is, then we can get to work for you right away.
NC Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Offer FREE Case Evaluation
Of course, you don’t have to contact a lawyer, but based on our team’s 150 years of combined experience, it is almost always a good idea to speak with us about your circumstances. Our confidential case evaluations are free, and you may learn that you’re entitled to more than the insurance company is letting on.
If you’ve been injured in a work accident or know someone who has, contact us today or call 1-866-900-7078 to learn how utilizing a workers’ compensation lawyer from the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin could potentially benefit you.
3Visit www.usnews.com for more information about criteria for inclusion.
4Figures from the N.C. State Bar as of December 2016.
5For more information regarding the standards for inclusion, visit www.bestlawyers.com.
6For more information regarding the standards for inclusion, visit www.superlawyers.com.