Office Locations

Roanoke Rapids Workers’ Comp Lawyer to Fight for You*

Phone: 12525379670

Toll Free: 1-866-900-7078

*By Appointment Only

Nothing messes with your routine like a workplace injury. It’s one of those things that “only happens to someone else” until it happens to you. Now you’re in pain and discomfort, can’t enjoy some or all of the things you usually enjoy, and can’t earn money to pay the bills – now including medical bills.

That’s the sort of situation workers’ compensation laws were designed for and Roanoke Rapids workers’ compensation attorneys can help fight for the benefits you may deserve. Call us right now for a free case evaluation at 1-866-900-7078, or contact us online.

What Are the Top Industries and Employers in Roanoke Rapids?

Roanoke Rapids has a variety of different types of employers, and the numbers fluctuate. Several companies and institutions employ large numbers of Roanoke Rapids residents. Lowe’s has a regional distribution center nearby, and companies like Kapstone Paper & Packaging, Reser’s Fine Foods, and AAA service centers also employ many workers. Many are employed at Halifax Regional Medical Center, and by the county and in the schools.

What Injuries Are Most Common in Roanoke Rapids?

The common injuries we see as Roanoke Rapids workers’ compensation attorneys don’t differ significantly from anywhere else. The injuries depend on the job. Trips and falls are possible, whether in an office or a manufacturing facility. Long-term exposure to toxic chemicals or repetitive stresses could lead to occupational diseases, including things like carpal tunnel. When you work in freight distribution, a medical center, or at the local school, it’s not difficult to suffer a back injury. And that’s just to name a few.

What Should I Do After a Workplace Injury in Roanoke Rapids?

Report the injury to your employer immediately and in writing if possible! Overlooking this step can cause a lot of grief for injured workers.

There are two critical reasons to report your injury as soon as possible:

  • By immediately reporting your injury, you reduce the risk of your claim being denied. Failure to report is one of the most frequent reasons insurance companies cite for denying a claim.
  • If you fail to report your injury within 30 days, you could be barred from compensation. North Carolina law generally requires an injury to be reported – in writing – to an employer within 30 days.

Fortunately, there is a common-sense exception to the rule. If you have a reasonable excuse for not providing written notice in time, and the delay does not harm the employer, you could still receive compensation. If you have questions, a workers’ compensation lawyer in Roanoke Rapids can help you find answers.

How Do I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?

The simple answer is to report your injury and fill out the proper forms. It sounds easy, but filing a workers’ compensation claim in North Carolina can be a lot more complex than it seems.

Here’s a taste of the typical process to give you an idea:

  • You report your injury to your employer in writing.
  • Your employer fills out Form 19 and gives you a copy, along with a blank Form 18.
  • You complete Form 18, file it with the North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC), and send a copy to your employer.
  • Generally, within 30 days, you receive a response from your employer with Form 60, Form 61, or Form 63.
  • If you receive Form 61 or Form 63, you could be denied workers’ compensation benefits.
  • You file Form 33 to request a hearing regarding your denial.

Keep in mind that these forms are not user-friendly, and a mistake on any of them could have dire consequences for your claim. Plus, there are deadlines for each one, specific orders of responses, and many nuanced instructions where a mistake could put your claim at risk.

You can find the forms on the NCIC’s website if you want to read them. We highly advise that you consult a Roanoke Rapids workers’ comp lawyer before you tackle these forms!

Do I Need a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Roanoke Rapids?

That depends. Do you want to file the forms, gather the evidence, follow the process, hit the deadlines, communicate with your employer (and the insurer, and the NCIC), appeal any denials, and generally deal with the workers’ compensation system while you manage your health and deal with your injury? If not, a worker’s compensation lawyer for Roanoke Rapids may be your best bet.

We know it sounds like a lot to do, and that’s because it is. It’s a lot of work even for those, like us, who do nothing but fight for clients in workers’ compensation cases all day, every day. We’ve seen injured people slip through the cracks or face denial because of technicalities. We see people who are hurt not getting the care they need. We fight to try to get the benefits and care our clients so desperately need.

North Carolina personal injury settlement client review

Why Hire the James Scott Farrin Workers’ Compensation Attorneys for Roanoke Rapids, NC?

Our talented team of workers’ compensation attorneys, paralegals, and staff know the North Carolina workers’ compensation system inside out – literally! Two of the attorneys on our team once worked for the NCIC. One was a state senator who helped to write some of the North Carolina’s workers’ compensation laws.

Several of our attorneys are North Carolina State Bar Board-Certified Specialists in workers’ compensation, recognizing them for broad knowledge, training, and practice experience specific to workers’ compensation.

We Do Not Collect an Attorney’s Fee Unless We Collect for You

If we don’t earn it by helping you obtain compensation, we don’t get an attorney’s fee.2 That means, at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, we align our goals to yours. We do not bill by the hour, so you have no out-of-pocket cost to hire us.

For a free case evaluation, call 1-866-900-7078 anytime, 24/7, or contact us online. You can also schedule an in-person appointment by contacting our Roanoke Rapids office. Don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re waiting to help you!

Text UsText Us

*by appointment only.


Practice Areas