Diminished Value Claims

You were hit by another driver. Your car was fixed, but it’s worth less. Now what?

Pursue a diminished value claim. The at-fault driver is supposed to make you whole. We may be able to help!

State Icon

This page refers to Diminished Value Claims law in North Carolina.

Since laws differ between states, if you are located in South Carolina, please click here.

North Carolina Diminished Value Claims After Car Accidents

When your car is damaged in an accident when another driver was at-fault, you expect the insurance company to pay for its repair. In many cases, though, the damage to the car’s value can’t be fixed – it’s simply worth less than it was prior to the crash.

That’s “diminished value” in a nutshell, and it’s something you should ask for. We see this money being left on the table too often!

How Does Diminished Value Work in North Carolina?

When a vehicle has been damaged and repaired, it’s generally worth less than it would have been had it not been damaged in the first place. That reduced value is part of the harms and losses you suffer when someone causes an accident and structurally damages your car. Your car’s diminished value is something you should seek compensation for.

How Will Someone Know My Car Was Damaged?

Services like CarFax, AutoCheck, and Kelley Blue Book use the information they have available to build vehicle histories, and many (if not most) people will prefer a vehicle with no previous damage to one that has been repaired.

It’s also worth noting that North Carolina has fairly comprehensive damage reporting requirements as a matter of law. Putting all these pieces together, your car is likely to be less desirable in the event you need to sell it. Its value has been diminished.

How Is Diminished Value Calculated in North Carolina?

It depends on what your car was worth before the accident and its value after it is repaired. The difference between those numbers is how to calculate the “diminished value.”

For example, let’s say your car was worth $20,000 before the accident, and was in good condition for its age and mileage. After the accident, and the subsequent repairs, it is only worth $15,000. The difference is $5,000, and that’s what you would seek in a diminished value claim.

Diminished value laws in North Carolina come from N.C.P.I – Civil 106.62 Property Damage. Specifically:

“The plaintiff’s actual property damages are equal to the difference between the fair market value of the property immediately before it was damaged and its fair market value immediately after it was damaged.”

There may also be complicating factors. What if your car was leased? What happens when you turn it in? What if you and the auto insurance company disagree on the pre- and post-accident value of your car? There are many questions that may arise, and we recommend consulting with an experienced diminished value attorney in North Carolina.

How Do I File a Diminished Value Claim?

You ask for it. It works the same way as other requests to receive compensation – meaning you can file a diminished value claim in North Carolina or have an attorney file it for you.

There are too many things for people to think about following an accident, so they focus on the immediate and obvious. Medical payments if they’re injured. Car repairs. Day-to-day needs that are in upheaval since the accident. Most people forget about diminished value, if they knew about it in the first place.

Insurance companies probably love this, because it means they get to keep money in their pockets. Some may not remind you to make a claim for diminished value. Many are happy to send you through their direct repair program and send you on your way as inexpensively as possible.

What Is the Statute of Limitations for Diminished Value Claims in North Carolina?

Generally three years from the date of the accident. Remember, you can claim diminished value in North Carolina as long as you were not the at-fault driver. If the other driver was not insured, your uninsured motorist coverage could potentially cover your diminished value claim.

Contact the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin if You Believe You Have a Diminished Value Case

If you aren’t at least considering a diminished value claim, you could be leaving money on the table – money that you may be entitled to! Even if the insurance company makes an offer, how do you know it’s fair? Our diminished value claim attorneys can help. Call us right away at 1-866-900-7078 or contact us online for a free case evaluation. Don’t leave money on the table – tell them you mean business!

Text UsText Us