“After working in insurance defense as an attorney for workers’ compensation insurance carriers, I sought to make an immediate, substantial and positive impact on the lives of injured workers in North Carolina. I enjoy explaining the law and helping real people with real problems.”
- Barry Jennings
Attorney Barry Jennings (Partner)
Barry Jennings joined the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin in 2006. He is presently a Partner and is co-leader of the firm’s Workers’ Compensation Department. He received his J.D. with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law, and graduated magna cum laude from North Carolina State University, where he received his B.S. in Animal Science.
Since obtaining his law degree, Barry has practiced in the area of workers’ compensation, and is now representing workers having suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of a work accident.
In addition to being an NC State Bar Board Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation Law, Barry earned the designation of “Rising Star”3 on Super Lawyers magazine’s annual list for 2011, 2012, and 2013. He has been selected to the Best Lawyers® “Best Lawyers in America”5 list for workers’ compensation lawyers every year since 2015 and he was named a “Lawyer of the Year”5 for Raleigh in 2023. He is a member of The Order of Barristers, the Workplace Injury Litigation Group, the N.C. Bar Workers’ Compensation Section Council, and the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. Barry is also the Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association for 2020-21. Barry has spoken about North Carolina Workers’ Compensation matters at numerous seminars, including the Annual North Carolina Industrial Commission Conference and North Carolina Bar Association-sponsored Continuing Education Seminars.
Barry’s passion and perseverance impacts many in the legal profession, as evidenced in 2022 when he was nominated by his peers and recognized on NC Lawyers Weekly’s “Power List 2022: Workers’ Compensation.”6
- 21 James Scott Farrin Attorneys Recognized by "Best Lawyers in America"5
- NC Lawyers Weekly 'Power List 2022: Workers' Compensation'6
- James Scott Farrin Lawyers Named to 2022 “Best Lawyers,” “Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch,” List, One Named a “Lawyer of the Year”5
- WFMY 2 News: Vaccines & Masks: In your workplace and at private businesses
- WFMY 2 News: Understanding your rights as an employee and workers’ compensation | Part Two: 2 Wants to Know
- WFMY 2 News: Understanding your rights as an employee and workers’ compensation |Part One: 2 Wants to Know
- WFMY 2 News: Know your rights as an employee | 2 Wants to Know
- James Scott Farrin Named to 2020 Edition of "Triangle Business Journal" Best Place to Work
- Can My Worker’s Compensation Insurance Company Force Me to Settle?
- Can I Get Paid for Pain and Suffering in NC if I’m Injured at Work?
For legal reasons and client confidentiality, reviews have been slightly edited to remove identifying information and correct typos.
3 To be eligible for inclusion in “Rising Stars,” a candidate must be either 40 years old or younger or in practice for 10 years or less. “Rising Stars” undergo a rigorous, multiphase process which combines peer nominations with third-party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made annually on a state by state basis. While up to five percent of the lawyers in any state are named “Super Lawyers,” by Super Lawyers magazine, no more than 2.5 percent are named to the “Rising Stars” list.
4 For information regarding the standards for peer review ratings, visit www.martindale.com.
5 For more information regarding the standards for inclusion for “Best Lawyers” ‘Best Lawyers’ and ‘Lawyer of the Year,’ visit www.bestlawyers.com.
6 For more information regarding the standards for inclusion for the NC Lawyers Weekly “Power List” list visit NC Lawyers Weekly.