Eric Sanchez, Vice President of Strategy and Innovation
Eric presently serves as the Vice President of Strategy and Innovation for the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin and Upcycle Legal. He is also the founder of legal technology company, GrowPath. Eric has been with the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin in some capacity since early 2000 and is the longest serving employee of the firm.
Here & Now
Today, James Scott Farrin is one of the largest and most successful plaintiffs’ practices in the Southeast – perhaps in the United States. He was the chief architect for many of the firm’s core systems. His greatest work was in In re Black Farmers Discrimination Litigation, Case No. 08-mc-0511 (PLF) (D.D.C.). In addition to overseeing the firm’s client outreach, legislative, and administrative operations on this case, Eric served as class counsel’s point person for many issues including data analysis, technology, and client communication. His work was specifically cited in the Court’s opinion which resulted in a settlement of $1.25 Billion dollars and maximum fee award of nearly $100 Million dollars – most importantly more than $1 Billion dollars went directly to farmers. A former Marine with 12 patents issued and nearly 10 more pending, Eric has a passion for efficiency and innovation with a track record of leadership and success.
Eric has been with Upcycle Legal since its inception over five years ago. Upcycle Legal offers marketing and operations consulting to contingency law firms. He is frequently sought to assist firms from across the country to leverage his experience and expertise which varies from marketing, intake, operations, management, risk mitigation, and strategy. For client firms, he oversees the implementation of best practices, the organization and analysis of their data, as well as develops systems for managing complex projects or voluminous client inventories.
As the founder of legal technology company, GrowPath, he has been involved with the company in some capacity since its inception. Eric formerly served as the company’s Chief Product Officer where he designed and orchestrated the development of several software platforms for the company, including its intake and case management offerings. Eric is responsible for much of its present feature set and innovation. He is a named inventor on multiple U.S. patents with multiple patents pending. The patents on which he is named range from cybersecurity, logic, email routing, design and the innovative buzzwordTM concept. Eric now serves in an advisory role with GrowPath, providing input and ideas related to existing feature improvement as well as concepts for new features.
Prior to his work in the legal services and technology space, Eric was a licensed pastor in a church located in California’s Silicon Valley. During his five years of service, he worked with youth, adults as well as oversaw the administrative affairs of the church. Prior to attending college, Eric enlisted in the United States Marine Corps where he served a total of eight years within its active, reserve, and inactive reserve components; he was honorably discharged as a Corporal. During his service, Eric graduated from Marine Combat Training; the United States Navy’s Aviation Electrician School, as well as several naval programs related to avionics.
Eric serves on the Disbursement Committee of the Carolina Justice PAC, which supports maintaining or enhancing the civil justice system to benefit victims. He has volunteered his time with the American Heart Association (AHA) and Duke Children's Hospital. Eric has also assisted with various AHA initiatives ranging from mandating CPR training in NC high schools to requiring pulse oximetry screening for newborns. He was appointed by North Carolina Governor, Roy Cooper, to the Justus-Warren Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Task Force. Eric also previously served on the RDU committee of the USO of NC.
Eric is a member of the Marine Corps Association and the Marine Corps League. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice.
Eric holds a M.A. in Public Policy and Administration from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois and a B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration from the California State University at Hayward. He has also completed significant graduate work in both theology and psychology.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2017. Database searching based on user-definable parameters. U.S. Patent 10,503,790, filed February 16, 2017, and issued December 10, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric. 2019. Systems and methods for matching buzzwords in a client management system. U.S. Patent 10,380,213, filed April 22, 2019, and issued August 13, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric. 2019. Systems and methods for matching buzzwords in a client management system. U.S. Patent 10,339,192, filed November 30, 2017, and issued July 2, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Note Review – Iteration One). U.S. Patent D837,252, filed November 29, 2017, and issued January 1, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Matter Trackers). U.S. Patent D837,816, filed November 29, 2017, and issued January 8, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Reminders). U.S. Patent D837,817, filed November 29, 2017, and issued January 8, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Note Review – Iteration Two). U.S. Patent D837,818, filed November 29, 2017, and issued January 8, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Note Addition). U.S. Patent D837,819, filed November 30, 2017, and issued January 8, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2019. Display screen or portion thereof with graphical user interface (Search View). U.S. Patent D839,296, filed November 29, 2017, and issued January 29, 2019.
- Sanchez, Eric. 2018. User authentication systems and methods. U.S. Patent 10,097,538, filed August 12, 2017, and issued October 9, 2018.
- Sanchez, Eric, et.al. 2017. Database searching based on user-definable parameters. U.S. Patent 9,785,312, filed February 16, 2017, and issued October 10, 2017.
- Sanchez, Eric. 2017. Concealing a personal number. U.S. Patent 9,703,985, filed March 24, 2017, and issued July 11, 2017.
Awards and Professional Accreditations
- Ministerial License, Evangelical Free Church of America (1995-1999)
- Honorable Discharge, United States Marine Corps (1999)
- Recognition of Excellence, National Black Farmers Association (2014)
- Order of Service, North Carolina Advocates for Justice (2011)
- License, Self-Employed Adjuster, State of North Carolina (2002-2004)
Recent and Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- Pioneer or Perish, Presentation, Darwin Talk, Evolve Law - Durham, NC (2017)
- Next Generation Tech and the Impact It Could Have On Law Firms, Presentation, American Bar Association TechShow (February 2018)
- The Revolution is Here: Next Generation Software to Run Law Firms Smarter and More Profitably, Presentation, Mass Torts Made Perfect (MTMP) (April 2018)
- Running the Next Generation Law Firm Smarter and More Profitably, Presentation, Personal Injury Lawyers Marketing and Management Association (PILMMA) (September 2018)
- Keep Track of Leads and Clients, Panel, Mass Torts Made Perfect (MTMP) (October 2018)
- Ethics of Client Intake, Webinar, Massachusetts Law Office Management Assistance Program (October 2018)
- Client Relation Management for the Digital Age, Panel, Mass Torts Made Perfect (MTMP) (April 2019)
- Shocking Ways Case Management Tools Can Propel Your Practice, Presentation, Personal Injury Lawyers Marketing and Management Association (PILMMA) (June 2019)
- Keep Up With All Your New Clients With Case Management, Panel, Mass Torts Made Perfect (MTMP) (October 2019)
- Plaintiffs’ Bar Star James Scott Farrin Builds A Legal Machine, Business North Carolina, November 2019, https://businessnc.com/plaintiffs-bar-star-james-scott-farrin-builds-a-legal-machine/
- Durham Legal CRM Software, GrowPath, Issued Record Six Patents in One Week, January 24, 2019, https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39845116/durham-legal-crm-software-growpath-issued-record-six-patents-in-one-week
- GrowPath Simplifies Authentication While Enhancing Cyber Security, HELPNET Security, October 24, 2018, https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2018/10/24/growpath-photo-authentication/
- How Will AI Disrupt the Legal Industry?, Disruptor Daily, February 28, 2018, https://www.disruptordaily.com/how-will-ai-disrupt-the-legal-industry/
- Legal Innovators, Attorney At Law Magazine, February 7, 2018, https://www.attorneyatlawmagazine.com/triangle-edition/legal-innovators-grow-path/
- GrowPath Makes Mark on Legal Software Industry — And Its Founder’s Forearm, October 25, 2018, https://grepbeat.com/2018/10/25/growpath-makes-mark-on-legal-software-industry-and-its-founders-forearm/
- Policy Win for Babies: Governor McCrory Signs Senate Bill 98, May 9, 2013, https://www.yourethecure.org/policy-win-for-babies-governor-mccrory-signs-senate-bill-98
- Perdue Signs Two Life-Saving Bills Into Law, July 26, 2012, https://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/11359351/
- Black Farmers vs. USDA, News and Observer, January 17, 2012.
- USDA to Pay Black Farmers $1.25 Billion, Herald Sun, February 19, 2010.
- Discussion of In re Black Farmers Discrimination Litigation, Television Appearance, Black Issues Forum, UNC-TV Public Television (2010).